19 April 2012

Cats and the Star-Spangled Banner

Cats are the evil spawn of the world. Really. They hate me. They know I am allergic to them and yet they come up to me and want to be best buddies with me. As if Mister! You are the reason I have been sneezing all week long, buster!

So in case you did not know. I do not like cats, but cats love me. A little bit too much...

So. Normally, as you may have found out in my last post, I like to stay away from things that make me cry. Today, my friends decided to indirectly bring up the topic that makes me cry. All by saying that the principal wants me to sing at graduation . As if. Everyone at school knows it is going to be one of my friends because said band teacher in previous post has favorites and she is one of the and I am on the I-hate-your-singin-but-I-can't-tell-you-this list. But I would like to sing the Star-Spangled Banner at graduation. By myself. Because for once, I want to show everyone that I can sing just as well as my friend can, and that they need to stop worshiping just a few people and look at the whole range of talented singers at the school. For example, another friend of mine is terrified of singing because she is afraid to be compared to my friend and I. She also thinks that one girl in school who tries to sing Adele should just stop trying. And I honestly agree. She doesn't have the power to do certain lyrics of Rolling in the Deep. And I am also tired of hearing Adele anyway. I am just plain tired of being second rate to the people who the band teacher likes. Because the band teacher is not everyone. He can't decide everything. He is not the almighty judge of music. And, I love my friend (singer friend), but when you insult the one music teacher who thinks I am good, the one teacher who knows the struggles I go through musically because of my music education's blank spots, I am not going to be a happy camper. The band teacher seems to ignore the fact that not all schools have a choir, or a orchestra. Stringed instruments, the classical stringed instruments, are no longer in schools. All they have in schools now is the brass and woodwinds because no one wants to pay the costs of having a highly beneficial program like orchestra in their schools anymore. Because the instruments are a little difficult to learn.

But why can't anyone handle that challenge? Because they are weak. They are afraid to learn something that people used to be able to easily learn in the past because they like the safety of frets and buttons.

Let them be weak.